Vocal Artist / Singer / Composer
Ruth Wilhelmine Meyer is a distinctive voice artist, multi-vocalist, and composer who explores her instrument to create music through vocal timbres with different ranges of expression and color. Her music free of genres is filtered through several genres and stylistic expressions that range from classical vocal tradition, selected ethnic traditions including throat singing, Norwegian folk music, multiphonics, and pure noise music. Her voice range is from 32 Hz to 2800 Hz, almost 7 octaves. This expression makes her popular for concerts, stage productions, film music, sound installations, and recordings all over the world.
With her multi-expressive vocal expression, she creates sound worlds from the realistic to the unrealistic, the expected and the unexpected, and the sound becomes the narrator.
She collaborates worldwide with instrumentalists and singers from various genres and cultures. She is the vocal soloist in the World Orchestra/Warsaw under the direction of Grzech Piotrowski and other main collaborators are jazz pianist Helge Lien and organist/composer are among her closest collaboration partners.
The opera “Camille Claudel – An Inner Opera” was written especially for her voice by the composer Steffen Schorn. The opera had its premiere on Bayrischer Rundfunk in November 2022 and will be released 2024.
Her newest recording: ONE VOICES (Simax), will have its international release March 8th2024. The music on this production is made by one single unprocessed multiple voice and contains several orchestrated vocal landscapes, pushing the limits of what one voice can express.
- In 2014-2016, she received the State’s 3-year artist grant and has previously received various grants.
- In 2020, she received the State’s 10-year senior grant for artists and was awarded the Edvard (Grieg) prize 2019 from TONO for the music on the CD and the concert concept KLANGBIOTOPER.
- In the same year, she became a member of the Norwegian Composers Association and in 2020 she also became a member of NOPA.
- In recent years, she has also composed music for musicians/ensembles, such as the commissioned work for the Telemark Festival’s 30th anniversary 2019: “Haugenbonden” and “Lokeslottet,”- “The Loki Castle” commissioned work for the Norwegian Soloist Choir, which premiered in the University’s Aula February 2023.
- She received her education from the Mozarteum, Hochschule für Musik und Darstellende Kunst in Salzburg in 1992, as well as a cand philol.l from the Grieg Academy in 1994.
Ruth Wilhelmine Meyer has a long career as a voice teacher/coach and conductor and is a sought-after seminar holder all over the world. She works as a university lecturer at the Norwegian Theater Academy and teaches at the academy for folk music: Ole Bull Academy.